Rue Croix-des-Petits-Champs
The Rue Croix-des-Petits-Champs is a street in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, France. NameThe street was built on a land that consisted of gardens named petits champs ("small fields"). A cross (croix in French) was located next to a house in the street, near the Rue des Pélicans.[1] HistoryA part of this public road was opened during the reign of King Philip Augustus. In 1685, as a part of the re-organisation of the Place des Victoires, King Louis XIV requested the houses of the road to be aligned to open a perspective onto his bronze statue. The part of the street affected by this decision was named the Rue d'Aubusson after François, Vicomte d'Aubusson, who at the time was building an hôtel particulier on the Place des Victoires. Later, the name Rue Croix-des-Petits-Champs was used for the entire road. On Germinal 3, Year X (March 24, 1802), a ministerial decision signed by Jean-Antoine Chaptal set the minimum width of the street at 10 m. The minimum width was extended to 12 m by a royal order dated May 2, 1837.[citation needed] Notable buildings
Famous inhabitants
See alsoReferences
|